Los Angeles Billing Fraud Attorneys
Billing fraud refers to the deceptive practice of charging consumers fees that they did not incur, did not agree, to or were not aware could be applied to their account. Billing fraud is illegal, and consumers have the right to take action against the businesses that commit billing fraud.
At Broslavsky & Weinman, our Los Angeles consumer attorneys help people stand up to these businesses that seek to take advantage of their customers through deception and hold companies accountable for committing billing fraud.
How Billing Fraud Can Occur
Businesses can practice billing fraud in various ways, including (but not exclusively) by:
- Assessing unauthorized charges on billing statements
- Tacking on hidden fees
- Having consumers unknowingly enter into contracts that auto-renew every month
- Phantom billing or charging consumers for goods or services they didn’t purchase or receive
- Overcharging for the purchased goods or services (i.e., charging more than the agreed upon or advertised price)
- Double charging consumers for the same goods, services, or transaction
Billing fraud is not exclusive to any particular industry or type of business, and can be committed by various types of companies, such as:
- Health care providers, including doctors and hospitals
- Cellphone and cable companies
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Insurance providers
- Retailers and other providers of goods/services.
The available legal remedies against companies that engage in billing fraud include cancellation of and/or refunds for improper charges.
If you have been the victim of billing fraud and would like to discuss your rights and potential legal claims, contact the experienced Los Angeles consumer attorneys at Broslavsky & Weinman. You can call us at (310) 575-2550 or email us using the contact form on this page for a quick response.
With office locations in Los Angeles and San Bernardino, our attorneys provide legal service and representation to clients throughout California.