Workplace Sexual Harassment Impacts About 33% of Females, Survey Finds
By the age of 34, at least 1 in every 3 working women will have been subjected to some type of workplace sexual harassment, a survey recently cited by HuffingtonPost has reported. Analyzing the responses from more than 2,200 part- and full-time working women throughout the U.S., this survey also found that:
- A significant number of women many not even realize they have been sexually harassed at work – In fact, about 16 percent of women who participated in this survey stated that they had not been sexually harassed at work but that they had been exposed to sexist or sexually explicit remarks at work.
- Although workplace sexual harassment is most often verbal, it frequently does come in other forms – More than 4 in every 5 women who were subjected to harassment experienced it in verbal form. At the same time, about 44 percent have experienced unwanted touching, physical contact and/or sexual advances at work.
- Emails & texts are also commonly being used to sexually harass women at work –about 1 in every 4 survey respondents agreed that they had been sent at least one sexually explicit or lewd email and/or text message from a colleague.
- The vast majority of workplace sexual harassment cases go unreported – Less than 30 percent of women who are the victims of workplace sexual harassment end up reporting it. What may be more unnerving than this is the fact that only about 15 percent of these women who have the courage to report their victimization to their superiors end up feeling “satisfied” by the outcome of their report.
Additional Findings about Workplace Sexual Harassment
Along with the above, the survey also indicated that:
- Men are often the perpetrators of workplace sexual harassment, with male managers, coworkers and/or customers being the harassers in more than 3 in every 4 cases.
- Women, however, may also be the harassers, as about 10 percent of the respondents had stated that they had been sexually harassed at work by a female colleague.
- The top five industries in which workplace sexual harassment is the most prevalent include (in order of most to least) the hospitality industry, the retail industry, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) industries, the arts and entertainment industries, and the legal industry.
- The two industries in which sexual harassment is least likely to occur include the education and health care/medical industries.
Contact a Los Angeles Sexual Harassment Lawyer at Broslavsky & Weinman, LLP
If you have been sexually harassed at work, contact a Los Angeles sexual harassment lawyer at Broslavsky & Weinman, LLP for experienced help and effective legal advocacy. At Broslavsky & Weinman, our attorneys are committed to providing the highest quality legal services to our clients.
Find out more about your rights and options, as well as how we can help you, by calling our law firm at (310) 575-2550 or by emailing us via the contact form on this page.